Pages

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

32 - 38.....ahem.

I am blaming our virus ridden computer for the delay in the updating. Thankfully it is now fixed - cheers Geeks on Wheels!

So, we are now in February, shortly my brother heads back in the direction of home and Andy & I may be moving ourselves, though only as far as the South Island. Is this closer or further away from the UK I wonder? Anyway, all that change can wait.

So on the 1st day of Feb more commonly known as day 32, I made Egg Fried Rice. I have honestly never done this before, Andy is such an eggspert there never seemed a reason to, before noe anyway! I slightly doused it in soy sauce whilst in the pan which I think was a faux pas but it tasted good and that's all that matters right?

Day 33 I drank something called Stolen Rum. It's a NZ rum company, and it's pretty damn good actually. Rum always makes me think of the Prohibition era or pirates. This was after subfootball too, where my normal drink of choice is the Amber Ale. However for Feb I am giving up beer and wine (though apparently not Shiraz....) so I needed a new after footy beverage. Will I get it again? Probably not, though only for the cost v quenching stand off....on a night out who knows?

On day 34 I walked a suprisingly long walk to the Auckland Fish Market. I've never been, which considering my new love of eating fish is pretty shocking. What can I say? It smelt like fish and I felt guilted by all the dead full fish and the live lobsters.

On day 35 I made Lemonade Scones. We had them at National Park at the weekend so I thought I'd give it a try. The lemonade in the mixture keeps the scones light and fluffy, however they don't stay fresh for as long.

The next 2 days involved my screenprinting course at the Art Station. Day 36, I printed using a screen onto fabric for the first time ever, and on Day 37 I printed using a photographic screen onto a t-shirt for the first time ever! This is really where I want Candyretro to go - making my own fabrics and printing my own images onto T-shirts so I loved this. It was so accessible, and after only 2 days I do have the basics of the concept already. I could literally go forth and create, if only I had a studio, paints,screens and a squeegee.....I guess I have the ideas though and that's a good start.

Day 38 involved making a meal of North East England classics - Pan Heggarty (or Panaculty as it was known in Middlesbrough) and Pease Pudding. The latter I was most impressed with, as panaculty really is just corned beef hash - or a variation on shepherds pie (I mean this as in it's not hard to make.) Pease Pudding was a bit more time consuming and involved a lot of trusting Delia Smith. Thankfully she knows her stuff! I remember my mum eating this a lot when I was a child, and I hated it, thankfully I don't hate it anymore. I would definitely make it again, though I'm unsure what to eat it with.

1 comment:

Neil said...

"virus ridden computer" - is Alex still with you?