Pages

Friday, July 12, 2013

Back once again with the renegade yogi...

I am a third in to my yoga challenge, and honestly a bit over it now. Conversely my body is loving it; I am now able to not only keep my standing leg straight and balanced for standing had to knee pose, but I can also almost kick my leg out straight. My triangle pose on the left side is amazing, though right side not so much. My standing bow pose is almost entirely graceful and I now tots own Camel, usually.... 

My mind however longs for a night where I don't go into a hot sweaty room for 90 minutes, where I can be at home on a weeknight before it gets dark and with time for Lisa's dips before actual tea.  But my mind also knows its only for another 20 days and I'm definitely sleeping better so this may end up being a yearly challenge. Like the half marathon has become. 

Things that really irk me about Bikram yoga :-
When sweat gets in your eye - it really fucking stings! When sweat gets in your ears and blocks them. Very off putting. The newbies who don't understand how it works collectively, and ignore the teacher's instructions regarding savasana, leave the room during class or immediately after class has finished, with no time for chilling, personally my favourite part of Bikram. Those 2 to 10 minutes of lying in a darkened room in complete silence focussing on your achievements over the last 90 minutes. That different teachers have different temperature settings. Be consistent please! I have big hips and shoulders now, I'm not blaming Bikram entirely, a summer of cheese totally added to that but Bikram does make muscles appear where running would burn fat. 


No comments: