Pages

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

New things continued....

This may be a long post!

Day 52 was such a long time ago! Thankfully I am writing it in my diary too - So it was the Monday night that we got to Christchurch and we'd gone out for food. My usual favourite hangout is Dux De Lux, so for a change we went to Mum's, an Asian cafe where I ate potato noodles.

Day 53....well, although I did say I could only have my new things when it was something I'd made happen personally, but an earthquake isn't an everyday occurrence. Also, it's more the day itself - I did new things during that day, heading to view rentals on my own, getting the bus out to Mt plesant, (attempting to) eat a sushi lunch in Sumner...And even going to meet Andy - I saw first hand the destroyed City centre, because I chose to walk through it and capture images on my camera and that was definitely a new thing.

Day 54 - Well, new things were not at the forefront of my mind for the next couple of days as we tried to leave Christchurch to no avail and then readjust afterwards...on this day it was eating fish n chips Hopkins style. Diced roasted potatoes with smoked fish in peppery, tomatoey goodness served on top.

Day 55 - We were picked up from the outskirts of Chch and driven to Nelson to catch the plane to Auckland - so I got to experience the most beautiful 5 hour road journey imaginable, though the mountains and over to the West coast. Breathtaking.

Day 56 - trying to readjust to being somewhere without aftershocks, Andy & I made a trip to the DVD store to find something to spend the afternoon not doing. I picked out "Farewell" - a KGB downfall movie, set in Russia, France and USA, normally I would say a tad too high brow & political, but I was intigued, and it did the job. No thinking about earthquakes for an hour or so!

Day 57 - A trip up to Matakana usually begins with Andy stopping at the cafe opposite the market for eggs in some form. I persuaded him this morning to try the lovely looking Artisan Cafe which neither of us had been to before.

Day 58 - Was a lovely drunken afternoon at my first ever winery gig, Crowded House at Villa Maria. Winery gigs are big things over here, and I can see why! You can drink good wine, in the gorgeous sunshine, surrounded by greenery and vines whilst a great band sings to you. Like a grown up festival I suppose.

Day 59 - I cooked with Vermicelli pasta for the first time. I was hung over.

Day 60 - hot cross buns suck over here. They never taste fresh or light so I consulted Delia and made my own. Unfortunately, mine didn't taste fresh or light either. Bad Delia.

I think I'll take a break there.....

No comments: